Every computer application is updated from time to time with new features and abilities. Similarly, the new version of the MS Access 2007 is having a new file format with an extension .accdb unlike to earlier one .mdb file extension.
Convert old access database to 2020
Now, the problem occurs when you try to open older versions Access files in the new Access database environment and you fail to do that. The reason is very simple. A database in the new Access 2007 file format (.accdb) does not support the earlier version. You cannot open or link the new version with the earlier versions of Access, and the new format no longer supports replication or user-level security. This circumstance puts the user in a troublesome condition as accessing MDB files becomes impossible for the time being.
If you are trap in a similar situation and finding difficult to open Access files, you need an immediate solution. A feasible solution has to be applied in any condition, if your Access 2007 database with earlier versions of Access, or if you need to use replication or user-level security, you must use a file format from an earlier version.
Converting MS Access 2000, 2002, 2003 databases
In order to convert an Access 2000 or Access 2002 – 2003 database (.mdb) to the Access 2007 file format (.accdb), you firstly need to open the database in Access 2007 and then save it in the .accdb file format. For this, follow underneath steps:
- Click the MS Office Button, and then click Open.
- In the Open dialog box, select and open the database that you want to convert.
- Click the MS Office Button, point to Save As, and then, under Save the database in another format, click the file format to which you want to convert.
- In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
- With this, MS Access creates a copy of the database and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.
Converting MS Access 97 database
If you open an Access 97 database in Office Access 2007, you will see Database Enhancement dialog box appearing on the screen. Click Yes to convert the database to the Access 2007 file format. The Access file then creates a copy of the database in the .accdb format.
Converting MS Access 95 database
In another case, where you want to import tables, queries, and macros of Access 95 .mdb database into an MS Access 2007 database (.accdb), there is a solution. You can import forms and reports that contain VBA code or modules into Access 2007 by following steps:
- Open the database in Access 2000, Access 2002, or Access 2003.
- Save the database in either the Access 2000 or Access 2002 – 2003 format.
- Open the database in Access 2007.
- Convert the database into an Access 2007 database
You may come across corruption issues with the MS Access database file while converting from one form to another. You easily perform MDB recovery using third-party MDB File recovery software. Kernel for Access Repair software is one such MDB recovery tool that can repair corrupt MS Access 2003, 2000, 97 and 95 database files in no matter of time. All tables, structures, data, and everything can be recovered from corrupt MDB files using Kernel for Access Repair software.